The company's history

15 years of material and environmental technology

Safe Control has been around for 15 years, in spring 2016, but has its roots centuries back.

Within Götaverken was in the 1910s a material laboratory attached to the foundry which analyzed the melting rate. The laboratory's main job was to check materials for cast iron details of the ship engines. It did separate analyzes of carbon, silicon, manganese, phosphorus and sulfur. In the mid-50s expanded operations to include the entire Götaverken.

Between 1963 and 1970, Götaverken divided into profit centers and the laboratory came to belong to Götaverken Motor (Engine), but the business continued to focus on the entire group. During this period the laboratory came to, in addition to the chemical analyzes, include metallurgical and mechanical analyzes.

In connection with the shipbuilding industry was discontinued in the late 70s the laboratory survived under Project Lindholmen, which was created in 1978 with the purpose to create jobs for shipyard workers. In 1991, the laboratory was sold to FFV Material Technology Lindholmen AB, which after two years sold the business to Gröner STK. In 1997 the Danish company Carl Bro took over the company and as well as the company Safe Control in Stockholm. It was decided at the same time that all operations in Sweden would be conducted under the name Safe Control.

In 2000 the Carl Bro Group had the intention to streamline the group's operations to include only consulting. At this time, there was a line of business in Varberg, which focused on nondestructive testing and in Gothenburg a pure laboratory. 

In 2001, a number of key employees got the opportunity to take over the operations and they formed Safe Control NDT AB in Varberg, and Safe Control Material Technology i Göteborg AB. That same year the company in Gothenburg received the important accrediation by Swedac.

In 1994 Safe Control Material Technology moved to its current premises in Lundby that houses both labs and offices.

Safe Control is now owned by three of the original four founders: Lars Andersson, Harald Fredriksson and Catarina Wernlund, all of which have been working in the laboratory since the early 90's. The activities during the ten years developed into a diversified company in the material testing for a variety of companies in diverse industries. The company attaches great importance to the ongoing work of quality and excellence and has invested in the latest in terms of instruments and equipment. It has thus been able to meet market demands, among other things faster delivery times.

Safe Control will continue to be an independent and complete laboratory and continuously enhance the skills to always give its customers high quality and assured quality.

Götaverken - a little history

Alexander Keiller bought two plots of land in 1840 at Stora Badhusgatan in Gothenburg, and in 1841 he wrote to the Royal Majesty with the request to build the factories. He got the permission to, under the name of Keillers Werkstad in Gothenburg, operate a mechanical workshop for various manufacturing products containing iron and other metals.

The workshop was hired by industries throughout Sweden for the manufacture of boilers, machinery of all kinds, turbines, steam sawmills, etc. In 1844 he bought additional land and the working area was expanded to be able to repair steam ships on land. They began with shipbuilding and the first ship that was built was a small iron steamer launched April 10, 1844, called Kare. The client was the Royal Navy. The steamer would serve as a tug at the Stockholm naval and pleasure vessels for the Royal Family.

After a bankruptcy in 1867, the company was converted to Göteborgs Mekaniska Verkstad (Gothenburg's Mechanical Workshop) under the direction of James Keiller. At the same time the shipbuilding was moved to the other side of Göta älv (Göta river) on Hisingen. The business expaned in 1906 and was taken over by Göteborgs Nya Verkstadsaktiebolag (Gothenburg New Workshop Limited). The former shipping minister Dan Broström bought 1916 the share majority and the yard got its final name - AB Götaverken.

Götaverken expanded rapidly and in 1933 it was the largest shipyard in the world, measured in gross tons. In the late 1950's it was decided to build a new shipyard further out on Hisingen, at Arendal. The facility was completed in 1963 and was then unique in the world because most of the construction work could be done indoors. At the same time began the dismantling of ship building at the old city yard and the last launch took place in 1968.

1971 the Salén Group took over the ownership and in 1977 by Svenska Varv. Then the Swedish shipbuilding crisis began, and in 1989 Götaverken delivered their last ship, the icebreaker Oden.

Götaverken Cityvarvet survived the crisis as repair and remodeling yards, an activity that came under the ownership of the Dutch Damen Group who in 2014 chose to discontinue operations in Gothenburg.

History in short

1910 Laboratory at the foundry at Götaverken
1955-1963 Laboratory for the entire Götaverken operations
1963 The laboratory belongs to Götaverken Motor
1978 The laboratory is a part of Project Lindholmen
1991 Laboratory sold to FFV Materialteknik
1994 Laboratory sold to Gröner STK
1997 Laboratory sold to Carl Bro
2000 Carl Bro intends to sell the laboratory
2001 Safe Control Material Technology formed in Gothenburg
2011 Safe Control celebrates its 10th anniversary as a company
2016 Safe Control celebrates its 15th anniversary as a company

In the laboratory the hardness tester and a tensile testing machine is still used, from the 1960's and 1970's Götaverken.

Alexander Keiller was also involved  in urban planning of Gothenburg and Hisingen. He drew up a plan that was established in 1885 for the so-called Hisingsstad (Hisingen City) consisting of straight strees in a grid. The streets were named after the stars of heaven: Herkulesgatan (Hercules street), Ceresgatan (Ceres street), Neptunusgatan (Neptune street), and others. Safe Control is now located on a side street of Herkulesgatan, which further consolidates the historical link with Götaverken.